That day when Reema and Seema accidentally met on the busy railway platform after years of disconnect, they were intrigued more by the changes in the other than the accidental meet. Reema who was slim had grown chubby while Seema who once drew attention in the streets looked shrunken and dull. They looked at each other’s grey hair and laughed aloud.
Next few hours the two friends shared every detail of their life. Reema’s profession demanded a lot of her time but she looked happy with the success the life provided. Seema’s health seemed declined despite the fact that she was a homemaker. But when she spoke about her family, her eyes lit up.
Both the friends were happy with the life demands but unaware of consequences – the stress that had affected their health. Today be it working individual or homemaker, stress has become so integral to our lives that it is no longer being looked with concern.
How would you know if you are stressed? Some of the common symptoms are:
- Frequent headaches, jaw clenching or pain
- Gritting, grinding teeth
- Excess anxiety, worry, guilt, nervousness
- Insomnia, nightmares, disturbing dreams
- Feeling overloaded or overwhelmed
- Increased frustration, irritability, edginess
- Constant tiredness, weakness, fatigue
- Weight gain or loss without diet
We cannot change all factors of our lives but can we make it stress-free? The answer is – Yes. You can. By changing your habits.
Here are few small things to consider:
- Move from eating at random hours or skipping meals to timely meals
- Move from junk food to healthy diet
- Move from aerated drinks to warm water
- Move from tardiness to exercise
- Move from elevators to stairs
- Move from work from the seat of the pants to work standing
- Move from multitasking to focused work
- Move from cluttered mind to checklist
- Move from long list of incomplete tasks to delegation and at times saying No.
- Move closer to the office. Time is precious.
- If moving is not feasible, find out a way to make travel more interesting. Read a book, solve a Sudoku puzzle, learn new recipes. Use time fruitfully.
These small changes if followed every day can make your tomorrow safe and peaceful. Our mind knows the value of these small things. If followed, it derives immense satisfaction and motivation to deal with life. Start small, start slow. We have to remember our lives are connected to our family. It is imperative that we stay healthy to take care our family.
Eat healthily, Exercise daily, Work smartly and Treat your body with respect.