Diabetes has become an epidemic in our country and India is now being referred to as the Diabetic capital of the world. But here is the catch! “Diabetes is not a problem of high sugar, rather high sugar is the end result of diabetes and not the root cause”, says Mr. Karan Kakkad, Founder & CEO, H-Spree. H-Spree had helped many people reverse their type 2 diabetes with the help of eating right food and exercise. How can a diabetic person lower high glucose levels, lower cholesterol, lower blood pressure, lose weight by eating more?
“The best diet for humans to live longer in superior health is also the best diet for reversing diabetes. It is not a low-carbohydrate diet or a low-fat diet; it is a high-nutrient diet, an eating style with a high micronutrient to calorie ratio” says Sana Jalan, a senior Health Officer at H-Spree. This forms the base of H-Spree, a company which focuses on reversing lifestyle diseases with zero medicine and only focusing on eating right foods.
On the occasion of this World Diabetes Day, we found out from the team of H-Spree about the best and the worst food for diabetics.
Three foods one should eat that would help their diabetes!
The high-nutrient diet we recommend is very high in fiber and low in glycemic load, which helps to keep blood glucose levels in the normal & healthy range. In addition, it floods the body with protective phytochemicals that fuel detoxification and self-repair mechanisms, healing the body from inside out. The three most important foods for diabetes reversal are:
- Beans: Beans are a unique food because their starch component is made up mostly of slowly digestible starch and resistant starch; so they do not raise blood glucose as much as other carbohydrates and all of their calories are not absorbed by the body. Plus, their resistant starch is broken down by gut bacteria to form compounds that protect against colon cancer.
- Greens:Greens have almost nonexistent effects on blood glucose, and are packed with fiber and phytochemicals. Leafy green intake is a known factor that reduces diabetes risk, and green vegetables contain specialized phytochemicals that protect blood vessels. The salad is the main dish for a nutrient – packed weight loss tool.
- Non-starchy vegetables: Cooked non-starchy vegetables like mushrooms, onions, garlic, eggplant, peppers, etc. are also essential components of a diabetes reversal diet. Their glycemic effects are negligible; they add lots of flavor, fiber and phytochemicals; and they can be eaten in virtually unlimited quantities. Plus mushrooms, onions and garlic have potent anti-cancer effects.
Top three foods that you should be avoiding if you are a diabetic!
- Barbecued meat, processed meat and commercial red meat: Every type of meat (not just red meat) produces carcinogenic compounds when cooked at a high temperature. Red and processed meat consumption is now considered a convincing cause of colon cancer. Animal protein in general also raises blood levels of IGF-1, a hormone linked to increased cancer risk and worsening of diabetes.
- Full-fat dairy products (cheese, butter, whole milk, ice cream) and trans fats (margarine): These are dangerous, calorie-dense foods that are loaded with saturated fat, contributing to weight gain, elevated cholesterol levels, reduced insulin sensitivity and several cancers. Of all animal products, milk has the greatest IGF-1-raising effect, potentially increasing cancer risk.
- Processed & Packet foods: Most processed foods are primarily a combination of refined grains, sugar and oil. These foods do more than simply add a few extra calories; they can produce harmful nutritional deficits and cellular inflammation. Devoid of fiber and stripped of vital nutrients, they act in the body just like sugar, rapidly elevating blood glucose while providing almost no micronutrient value, promoting diabetes, cardiovascular disease and cancer.
Specific advice or insight from H-Spree to people aged 50 and older:
The most important deposit to put in their savings account for their future is not money, it is excellent nutrition. The right foods and nutrients do not just make you live longer, but keep your brain healthy and maintain your intelligence and emotional well-being, enabling you to fully live with pleasure each day of your life. Place the healthiest foods in your health bank account and don’t waste this gift of life. H-Spree will empower you with knowledge and guide you on your path to a healthier and thereby a happier tomorrow and that too with just food because they truly believe and profess “Let food be thy medicine”.